Discovery, Mechanisms and Therapeutic Targeting of the PI 3-Kinase and AKT Signaling
Speaker: Professor Alex Toker - Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts, United States
- The discovery of PI 3K and AKT, and the major enzymes that participate in signal relay will be
- The contribution of PI3K/AKT in cancer phenotypes as well as genetic aberrations in the
pathways will be highlighted.
- Genetic models that have been generated as pre-clinical tools will be illustrated.
- Finally, development of drugs that inhibit PI3K and other enzymes in the pathway will be
covered, and the failures and recent successes in the clinic for both PI3K, AKT and mTOR
- The lecture will end with an illustration of new drugs in the pharmacology arena, PROTACs
or degrader compounds and how specificity can be achieved.